1 – The political group: the AME Wise Persons Forum
The new cooperative model of deep regional integration between Africa, the Mediterranean and Europe requires considerable lobbying. This vision should be carried by recognized personalities from the political world and civil society from the three areas of the region.
These personalities form a political group, which carries out a strategy of influence towards decision-makers and political bodies.
Gathered under the chairmanship of HE Jean-Claude Juncker, the Wise Persons Forum brings together:
|JUNCKER, Jean-Claude||Former President of the European Commission, Honorary President of La Verticale AME||Luxembourg|
|GUIGOU, Elisabeth||Former Minister, President of the Foundation La Verticale AME||France|
|ABU-GHAZALEH, Talal||President of TAG-Org, Vice-President of La Verticale AME||Jordan|
|AKUFO-ADDO, Nana||President of the Republic||Ghana|
|CORREIA E SILVA, Ulisses||Prime Minister||Cabo Verde|
|DAVIGNON, Etienne||State Minister||Belgium|
|EL-GHAZAOUANI, Mohamed||President of the Republic||Mauritania|
|FASSINO, Piero||Chairman of the Foreign Affairs Committee of the Chamber of Deputies||Italy|
|GONZALEZ, Felipe||Former President of the Government||Spain|
|JOHNSON SIRLEAF, Ellen||Former President of the Republic||Liberia|
|KABORE, Roch Marc Christian||President of the Republic||Burkina Faso|
|KENYATTA, Uhuru||President of the Republic||Kenya|
|KÖHLER, Horst||Former President of the Federal Republic||Germany|
|MAHAMADOU, Issoufou||President of the Republic||Niger|
|MANSERVISI, Stefano||Special Advisor to Jean-Claude Juncker, Former Director of the DG Devco, EC||Italy|
|MICHEL, Louis||Minister of State||Belgium|
|MORATINOS, Miguel Ángel||Former Minister of Foreign Affairs||Spain|
|MUSHIKIWABO, Louise||Secretary General of the Organisation internationale de la Francophonie||Rwanda|
|KAGAME, Paul||President of the Republic||Rwanda|
|PRODI, Romano||Former President of the Council||Italy|
|SALL, Macky||President of the Republic||Senegal|
2 – The AME Network of think tanks and research centers
Its function is to:
– Identify the challenges, new structuring trends, obstacles and ruptures of AME regionalization, and priority themes for the integration of the region: energy, water, agriculture, transport, logistics, digital, health, social and solidarity economy, mobility of people and capital, business financing, public-private partnership, harmonization of legislation, regionalization of value chains, etc.
– Propose tracks of public policies and industrial strategies by sector, to accelerate the North-South and South-South integration.
– Combine sectoral analyses with territorial analyses in order to facilitate decentralized cooperation between territories in the region.
It includes the following institutions:
|AERC||African Economic Research Consortium||Kenya|
|Cacid-Enda||Centre Africain pour le commerce, l’intégration et le développement||Senegal|
|Cespi||Centro Studi di Politica Internazionale||Italy|
|ECFR||European Council on Foreign Relations||Germany|
|Elcano||Real Instituto Elcano||Spain|
|ERF||The Economic Research Forum||Egypt|
|Ferdi||Fondation pour les études et recherches sur le développement international||France|
|Ipemed||Institut de prospective économique du monde méditerranéen||France|
|SAIIA||South African Institute of International Affairs||South Africa|
Created in 1988, the Consortium for Economic Research in Africa is a non-profit organization. Its objective is to build the capacity of economic policies in sub-Saharan Africa. It has three components: research, higher education, policy awareness. The AERC is part of the “Think20”.
The African Center for Trade, Integration and Development aims to be the leading center of resources and expertise on trade, integration and development for the benefit of civil society, the private sector, governments and regional institutions. Enda Tiers Monde is a spokesperson for West African civil society in international economic governance.
Independent and non-profit think tank, the Centro Studi di Politica Internazionale conducts research and analysis focused on policies related to international relations: dynamics in Europe, emerging realities, globalization, supranational and multilateral cooperation, sustainable policies, assertion of human rights.
ECFR (European Council on Foreign Relations)
Founded in 2007, this international think tank conducts independent research on European foreign and security policy. It provides a meeting space for decision makers, activists and influencers to share ideas on Europe’s role in the world. It has offices in seven European capitals, and a team of associate researchers in the 27 EU Member States.
Created in 2001, the Real Instituto Elcano is a think tank specializing in international and strategic studies carried out from a Spanish, European and global perspective.
A non-profit organization, the Economic Research Forum is a regional network dedicated to promoting high-quality economic research to contribute to sustainable development in Arab countries, Iran and Turkey.
Created in 2003, the Foundation for Studies and Research on International Development is a laboratory of ideas whose primary mission is, on the basis of its research, to influence the international debate on major development issues. A non-profit and independent foundation, it mobilizes high-level researchers in the field of development and offers relevant and innovative thinking on key themes in development economics.
A non-profit organization, the South African Institute of International Affairs is an independent public policy think tank. It promotes a well-governed, peaceful, economically sustainable and globally engaged Africa.
Established in association under 1901 law since its creation in 2006, the Institute for Economic Prospective of the Mediterranean World is a Euro-Mediterranean think tank. Defender of the construction of the Mediterranean region as a whole, Ipemed is convinced of the decisive role of the economy in this area. Its mission, statutory and recognized as being of general interest, is to bring the countries of the two shores of the Mediterranean closer together, through the economy.
3 – The Council of Business Leaders
It is inspired by the decisive role of business in the integration of East Asia.
It promotes co-production, corporate social and environmental responsibility, and works towards regional integration.
Proposition (Angelica): It works as a platform for business leaders of the AME region to discuss the role of the private sector and the strategies it can adopt to strengthen economic ties between the two continents, to identify priorities for investments and cooperation and to put forward projects and initiatives to be supported and developed under the umbrella framework of La Verticale AME Foundation.
It is chaired by Dr. Talal Abu-Ghazaleh, President of the TAG group (Jordan).
The launch meeting, which took place 3rd December 2020 has gathered:
- ABU-GHAZALEH, Talal: Vice-President of the Foundation «La Verticale AME», Former Senator of the Kingdom of Jordan, Chairman of TAG. Global.
- GUIGOU, Elisabeth: President of the Foundation «La Verticale AME», Former Minister of the Republic of France.
- FASSINO, Piero: Chairman of the Foreign Affairs Committee of the Italian Chamber of Deputies.
- LUCINI SERRANO DE HARO, Irene: Representative of Miguel Ángel Moratinos, Former Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Kingdom of Spain.
- MANSERVISI, Stefano: Special Advisor to Juncker, Former Director General of Directorate- General for International Cooperation and Development of the European Commission.
- GUIGOU, Jean-Louis: Founder and Board Member of « La Verticale AME ».
- DIAMANTIS, Eric: Board member and managing director of « La Verticale AME ».
- ACHLEITNER, Paul: Chairman of the Supervisory Board, Deutsche Bank.
- ACOUETEY, Didier: Co-founder and CEO of AfricSearch.
- AL-LABAD, Samar: Vice Chair, TAG.Global.
- AL-SHAWWA, Faisal: Chairman, Al-Shawwa General Trading and Contracting Company.
- DAJANI, Shermine: Chairperson, PanMed Energy.
- DALL’OMO, Sabine: CEO, Siemens South Africa.
- CHEICKH GAYE, Ibrahima: Representative of the Mimran group in Dakar, on behalf of Director Mamadou Diagna Ndiaye.
- DOYLE, Hugo: Head of International Public Affairs, Intesa Sanpaolo.
- EBRAHIM BIN RAJAB, Sameera: Special Envoy for the Royal Court, Kingdom of Bahrein.
- EL WATHIK BELLAH, Yahya: Minister Plenipotentiary, Commercial Office of the Egyptian Embassy in Brussels.
- FRIGERI, Daniele: Director of CeSPI.
- IDLEBI, Nibal: Chief of Innovation, UN-ESCWA.
- KLASEN, Jan: Head of Department for Federal and European Affairs, KfW.
- JACQUAND, Raoul: Head of Development in Africa, Dassault Systèmes.
- DR. MAGHAWRY DIAB, Ahmed: First Undersecretary – Head of Egyptian Commercial Service, on behalf of H.E. Minister of Trade & Industry Mrs. Niveen Gamea.
- MARTINEZ-SAMPERE, Rocio: Director of Felipe Gonzalez Foundation.
- MEBAREK, Aziz: Co-founder, Africinvest-Tuninvest.
- MORI, Simone: Head of Europe, ENEL.
- PELLER, Mathieu: Partner, Chief Operating Officer Africa, Meridiam.
- PETROCELLI, Enrico: Head of International Institutional Relations, CDP.
- PISTELLI, Lapo: Director of Public Affairs, ENI.
- SALZANO, Pasquale: Chairman, SIMEST Spa.
- SPÄTH, Lars: Global Vice President and General Manager of the Division Water Processing Solutions, Aqseptence Group.
- SOUEID, Mazen: Chairman, IDAL.
- SIMONNEAU, Denis: General Delegate for Group Institutional Relations, L’Oréal.
- THILL, Markus: President of the African Area, Robert Bosch.
- VALENSISE, Michele: Vice-Chairman, ASTALDI SpA.
- ZAGHOUANI, Douraid: COO of Investment Corp. of Dubai, Director of Dangote Cement PLC.
- ZMOKHOL, Fouad: Chairman, RDCL.